The Central Museum of Soil Science named after V.V. Dokuchaev (St. Petersburg)
This museum was organized by the founder of the soil science V.V. Dokuchaev in 1902 and was opened in 1904 with the help of the Free Economic Society for the goal to exhibit the diversity of the world's soils. The exposition is in the warehouse building on the Spit of Vasilievsky Island.
The museum stores the vast collection of soil monoliths since 1902. It demonstrates the diversity of soils on the planet and presents the regularities of their distribution.
The collection has soils patterns of all nature zones including the Arctic and New Zealand. Every year the staff of the Museum organize expeditions to replenish exhibits and to reach new scientific data.
The museum is a scientific and educational centre in accordance with the idea of V. V. Dokuchaev.
The present exposition has the sections: «Soil is a special natural body», «Soils of the World», «Soils of the Leningrad Region», «Violation of the soil cover and protection of soils», etc.
The museum demonstrates the monoliths of fossil soils over 125000 years old, the two-meter volumetric monolith of chernozem, the soil globe with a relief image, the portrait of Dokuchaev made using fragments of different soils instead of paints; the mock of ecological station.
A special section of the exposition presents to the history of the development of soil science in Russia. The popular science films are included in excursions program.